Sunday, November 22, 2009

REAL.LIFE. Exhibit

My Girl Scout Troop, Jamie and I went to the REAL.LIFE. Exhibit at the Medical Teams International building in Tigard. It was a very eye-opening and powerful exhibit showing real life situations of children affected by disaster, conflict and poverty. Then it also shows you how Medical Teams International and volunteers have helped and how things have/can change.

The girls have never experienced anything like the children in these situations, and they hopefully will never have to. It was good for them to see how other children are living and how things can be overcome. It was also good for them to see the hope that these children have. Hope is truly an amazing thing!

At the same time, it was very emotional. (Had all the girls not been there, I would have been showing much more of it myself...and I'm not a cryer.) As a person that wishes to help as many people as I can, I also have to remind myself that I can only do so much. I also need to be proud of the things that I do and the activities that I can involve my family in. Those are the good things...
Go to REAL.LIFE. Exhibit for more information. I would encourage anyone 12 and older to go. Plan for an hour to walk through the exhibit, and bring a tissue or two.

Thankfully, there are several ways for myself, my family and my Troop to help Medical Teams International. Stay tuned...

A quote that I found on one of the walls that really struck me:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
-Edmund Everett Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment