Thursday, August 21, 2008

Unwanted visitor

What were you doing at 10pm last night?? Jamie & I were watching the end of a movie when Moxie decided that she needed to go outside. She was a little too excited - which usually means there is a cat in the yard. (She does 'chase the kitty' a lot - she does know which cat is ours but she can't tell the difference when it's a squirrel.) Next thing we know, she running up on the deck and a bit freaked out...the kitty must have claws. Jamie lets her in and then it hits us...literally...the smell. Yep, THAT smell...the SKUNK smell!! Of course, we just assume the smell has come in from outside and shut the door - then we realize that Moxie got a little too close to the 'kitty' and it got her!

Jamie takes her out front to give her a quick bath, while I look up online how to get the smell out. In case you ever need to know, this seemed to work the best...we only made half the amount as it was all the peroxide that we had.

Skunk Smell Remover
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tbsp Dish Detergent
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, because it will boil up. Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which reacts with the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, because it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.
Apparently, bathing in tomato juice does not work like I always thought. We did try it anyways, but the mix above actually stopped the smell. Because the peroxide dried out her skin, she will get another bath today with her oatmeal shampoo. Hopefully she will be more careful about 'chasing the kitty' next time!
You may not want to come over for a visit the next couple of days - we still can't seem to get the smell completely out of the house. Luckily she didn't rub on anything and we got her outside quickly, but WOW!! I'm spraying a lot of Nature's Miracle (natural odor remover) around!
GRRR...as you may know, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (some of you have a different name for it). There is some glitch in the blog system that is driving me crazy! The last few entries have rearranged my paragraphs or not let me space how I'd like (my paragraphs should have a space between them!)...and I can't fix it no matter how many times I try!! Oh well...I know you'll forgive me...

1 comment:

  1. Poor Moxie...hope she's doing okay and that you guys don't smell skunky for too long!

    ReplyDelete