Thursday, February 12, 2009

Portland at night

After the girls went home, Jamie & I headed downtown. My camera class was shooting some night photography - I begged Jamie to go with me. Again, more of my favorite photos - the rest are at Amber's Photos at right menu or www.picasaweb.google.com/amberzpix (you can view the photos best by looking at them in a slideshow). I was playing with shutter speed (I did not use a flash in ANY of these photos) and reflection. A tri-pod has to be used at these settings or everything is blurry. One of the "ideas" is to keep the background clear/focused and then the moving objects are blurred.

This guy was playing his guitar out front of Nordstrom. He said he was trying to get a little extra money before he left on a trip to Europe.

The red light is the tail-light of a car that had just driven by.

Jamie doesn't look too excited in this photo, but after a snack and warm drink from Starbucks he was much happier!

This is a window display at Nordstrom. I am across the street.

This is the window display as I caught it (by accident and I was totally excited!) through a blurred window of the Max train.

Another window at Nordstrom, from across the street.

Then I took a picture of the reflection of the window above from a See's Candies window. I had to be very low to the ground.

There was very minimal light here and I liked how the pictured turned out so warm.

Around the Arlene Sch. Concert Hall there are posts separating the people waiting from the people walking on the sidewalk. Each one of the posts has a different caricature on top. Again, very minimal light.

This is one of my very favorite photos of the night. I am across the street and pretty much sitting on the ground with my tri-pod and the only time I used my smaller lens (I couldn't fit in the entire sign otherwise). I wanted to also see the light post at the bottom left corner, I caught a cloud (yep, a cloud in the night sky) in the bottom right corner and I was able to get light off of the light post that was on my side of the street in the top right corner.

I kept trying to get a picture of this doorman from across the street, but he kept moving around so he was blurry in every picture. Finally, he stopped and pointed me out to his friend there - then he winked at me. I was able to get the photo - they were both smiling at me.

This is a reflection of the above picture from a coffee shop window.

This should be my last post for today. I had a lot of catching up to do! Another day of over 500 pictures on my camera - still loving it! Thanks for going with me Honey and helping me carry things!

We had dinner at Standfords afterwards. I had forgotten how much I like it there.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos ROCK!! I'm SO glad you took this class...now I'm thinking I need to take one like this too! Having it weekly would MAKE ME ACCOUNTABLE for actually working on my skills!

    ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber those are great. I realy like the one of the flag pole and the portland sign.

    ReplyDelete