Thursday, July 15, 2010

Road Trip - Day #2

I, as usual, woke up around 6:30am. I stayed in bed until around 7am, checked my email and then went to get coffee and toast. I woke Makena up around 8:30am so that we could get ready for our day.


Makena and I got to know Aberdeen a little more than we had planned to. We drove around a bit last night looking for a Chinese restaurant, that we never did find. Then we drove around a few more places today thinking we knew where to find Kurt Cobain's memorial. We gave up and went to the Aberdeen Museum of History.


Where Makena got to drive an old fire engine.



And use an actual pay phone.



While there, I asked for directions to the memorial. After a short (well, longer than I had planned) discussion about where the actual bridge was and then what kind of camera the service lady should buy, we were back on the road.


Come to find out, we had already been over the bridge (the day before while looking for the Chinese restaurant) and then two blocks away earlier that morning.

We had finally made it...Kurt Cobain Riverfront Park.

After the park, we were back on the road headed towards Forks.

We took a little detour to the small town of Quinault and Lake Quinault in the Quinault National Forest. We stopped off at the Mercantile/Cafe for a wonderful lunch before hiking the trails. This building, a ranger station and a Lodge were about the only buildings in the town.

Before we left, Makena and I decided that we'd only eat at local restaurants, not large chain places. (Burgerville doesn't count of course - it is only on the West Coast! I haven't seen one yet though. Been craving their coffee smoothie.) Even better, this small cafe only served fresh, local foods.
After some fuel, we hit the trails...

I got a few looks/comments about my hiking gear. Hey...I'm a flip-flop girl!

I did bring shoes, but the map said that the trail was easy so I didn't change in to them. I thought the path was fine, Makena didn't think it was that easy. (It went uphill...)

Another nap between Lake Quinault and Forks. I love that her Jacob pillow is right there.

We arrived in Forks around 4pm.

I LOVE this RFL Community sign! I have already spotted someone in a Relay tshirt in Forks. I also brought one of mine to wear sometime this week.

Bella's truck. (Makena wouldn't stand by it because she doesn't really like Bella. Geeshhh, that girl...)

We stopped by the hospital.

And found Dr. Cullen's reserved parking space.

We found the high school - which they are in the process of tearing parts of down.

We also went to Bella's house and the Police Station, but I'll have to get better pictures of them later. And, we drove by the Cullen house, but we'll be staying there in a few days so we didn't take photos of that yet.

We had an early dinner at a local pizza parlor - very yummy! I also tried the Twilight Ale from Deschutes Brewery. They. Just. Make. Good. Beer.

I (just happened) to stumble across an antique store outside of town. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything that I needed. Makena bought a gummy-dinosaur that she named Bruce...then ate and said "goodbye" to.

When we got back to the Forks Motel, we went down to the pool. I swam for a bit while Makena read (texted mostly). The weather is still beautiful! Can't wait for more.

2 comments:

  1. FUN!!! ;-) So cool that you two are doing this!

    Cullen house? Really, I had heard it was a home in the west hills...wow...can't wait to see more photos from your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the house they've named 'The Cullen House' in Forks.

    ReplyDelete