Saturday, October 10, 2009

CASA

Dining for a cause with Typhoon!

Starting in October, the first Tuesday of every month, order off of the special CASA menu and a portion of the proceeds will go directly to CASA! Lunch, dinner and carry out! Tell your friends! (Click here for the location nearest you.)

CASA for children thanks Typhoon! for giving us a unique opportunity to spread awareness of what we do to help children in foster care.


*****************************************************


Special Concert for the Sparkle Fund!

Mark on your calendars for a special concert to help support a very worthy cause. On Sunday, October 11th, from 6 – 9 pm, Henry Cooper, Dave Kahl, Dover Weinberg and Leonard Maxon will be performing at Kell’s Irish Pub to raise money to help benefit the Sparkle Foster Fund. The Sparkle Fund Inc. was created to provide for additional needs of children in the DHS Foster Care system, by filling the cracks and providing opportunities, not otherwise funded by the State. Having children in the foster care system has become a generational pattern. Many former foster children now have their own children experiencing the same type of care. The Sparkle Foster Fund hopes to break the cycle, by raising the self-esteem of these children, and exposing them to healthier life options.

Some examples of activities covered by this foundation are: summer camp, art classes, Boy/Girl Scouts including uniforms and badges, music classes, orthodontics, tutoring, and prom attire. The specific objectives and purposes of the Sparkle Foster Fund are: to provide educational and enrichment activities for children in the DHS foster care system in the State of Oregon; to engage in other activities related to educating the public concerning issues and concerns of children in the DHS foster care system; to assist children in the DHS foster care system with self-esteem building, life and self-efficiency skills, to eliminate their future need for public assistance.

Admission is $20. A bargain for certain when considering the good it is aimed for and you’ll also enjoy a terrific night of blues music, too!

****************************************************

I had my monthly visit with my CASA kids and their foster family the other day. I showed up with my camera bag, and they knew exactly what I had! I think someone may be getting a Fisher-Price childrens digital camera for Christmas...

I can't share pictures of the girls, but one of them had fun taking pictures around the house. I was told (several times) that my camera was 'just too heavy for little arms', so I told them that I would bring my smaller camera to the next visit. I was then reminded about my smaller camera (several times) before I left. : )

CASA For Children - Advocating for children who have been abused or neglected and are under the protection of the Courts in Oregon's Multnomah and Washington Counties.

Things turn out differently when you volunteer.

For more information on how to become a CASA or other volunteer opportunities please visit http://www.casahelpskids.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment