Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alaska - Days 1 & 2

Because it took over an hour to upload just these photos, this will be the only post actually from Alaska. We are having fun spending time with family and enjoying the island of Ketchikan. Here are some photos from days 1 & 2:

We arrived at the airport on Friday, just in time to find out that they had cancelled our flight and just added us on to a later one. Geeee...thanks for letting us know! Because we did have a little time to wait, we decided to get some lunch and were then on our way. Once we landed on Airport Island, AK - we took the ferry over to Ketchikan. The price now is $5 per person; which really isn't much of a choice as you don't have any other way off of Airport Island!

on the ferry
relaxing in the rental house
T made dinner for us the first night
Because we had a house, Jamie & I headed to the store that night for the 'necessities'. I forget how much things can cost in other states...especially islands! The tomatoes were $4.49 a pound, which I thought was crazy! Then, the clerk put 2 or 3 things in each plastic bag, also driving me crazy! I started unloading the cart and told him that I didn't need all of that plastic - Jamie just laughed.
On Saturday, we were all ready to head to Ward Lake for a Harley Riders Assoc. BBQ. Jamie rode Teri's motorcycle out to the lake. He actually spent most of the week riding Teri's bike and enjoying the scenery.
Jamie on Teri's bike - next to Dad's
Ward Lake
Dad playing a little game of horse-shoes
Jamie & Chad beat the bikers!

Teri had to be inventive as no one brought a spatula - knife and stick it is!
T & Dad

Makena & I walked the 2.5 mile path around the lake




Ward Lake was the only place that I found with a recycle bin, and a large one at that. I began asking people what could be recycled in it, but no one seemed to know. So, I figure that I'll put whatever I can in there and hope that most of it gets recycled. Quite difficult for me to throw so many things away! We don't usually have one full bag of garbage a week at home, because of everything that we recycle or compost. It seems like we're going through a bag a day here. It just seems strange.
After the BBQ we just all headed back home...rest and relaxation.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo's of Mekena. Beautiful girl! Looks like you guys are having fun up there. I would love to go back again someday. Tell everyone hi. The picture of T and her dad is special. She will love it.

    ReplyDelete