Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Walden Island Day 48, 49 & 50

We were supposed to head to the lake around 11:30am on Friday. Jamie had a meeting that ran late and then he had a few errands to run. By the time we headed out, it was almost 4pm!?! Once I get packed and ready to be at the lake, I just want to be there...he puts up with me.

We decided to bring the hammock up to the property, and the first thing I did was stain it so I could use it! After a few other odds/ends, I made dinner. We almost always do "camping food", but now that we have an actual stove & oven we can cook dinners. (BTW - THANK YOU Roger at A-Best Appliance for hooking us up!!!) I decided to go with spaghetti & garlic bread that night.

I got up early on Saturday to get a start on things before it got too hot. It took me over 2 hours, but I was able to cut down the weeds/brush with our new gas-powered weed cutter. (And for those of you that tried to help me start it when up at the lake, we took it back to Home Depot and they couldn't get it started either - so we got a new one. Wheewww!!!) I should have taken a picture of my clothes when I was done...LOTS of thistles, grass chunks and more! I was even picking thistle pieces out of my legs...they had gotten so thick that they went through my pants.

While I was busting my as* in the heat, Jamie was doing important things like hooking up the satellite dish. (I'm just kidding! Well, not about the satellite dish anyways.) I like a good book...Jamie likes his t.v.

the new addition in the loft
Then he hung up some wind chimes for me.

While I took a break, after showering, in the hammock. I actually took a longer break than planned, and finished a book. (Love that!)

After dinner, we played some games. I'm happy to say that I kicked his butt at both Skip Bo and Boggle!! : ) Jamie is too competitive for me to usually play a game with, but I was feeling good. I even had to take a few pictures and call my sister with the news!

the 11 is my last card (of 30) - Jamie has 24 left
I was up early again on Sunday, but to take pictures on the island. I had 3 other dogs tagging along with me, so they scared away most of the birds I was looking for.

my new birdhouse (thanks Dean, I love it!)
Then Jamie and I spent the afternoon cleaning the boat and both wave runners...no fun at all! After being in/out of the lake all summer and then sitting through winter, they were pretty dirty.
It wasn't until we were on our way home that I realized I had gotten a sunburn on my back. I use a lotion, daily, that has SPF 15 in it and I always put sun block SPF 70 on when going outside. Well...I apparently didn't do my lower back very well! When I was bent over, cleaning, my shirt would come up and that's where I have a 3" sunburn. It has now been 3 full days, and I still can't touch or lay on my back...bad, bad, bad! I'm honestly surprised that it didn't blister...it's always something isn't it?!?

After getting unpacked, we headed to Burgerville for the Relay For Life fundraiser. We had dinner with Kathy, Victor, Rachel and kids...and talked to a few other committee members. It's nice to see them outside of Relay! : ) OH - if you'd like a birdhouse let me know. They are a FUNdraiser for Relay For Life of Beaverton - only $10, different styles and built very well! (I had to get two of them...one for the lake, one for home.)

2 comments:

  1. I want to go there! That hammock is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love the bird houses? My folks already have birds in the two I got for them! ;-)

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete