Saturday, November 13, 2010

Good Things #25

I know that Christmas is only a month and a half away (yipes!) but I wanted to share this idea I read on The Creative Mama.

To help my children think beyond what they will be “getting” for Christmas, we started doing a “Christmas Jar” a few years back to help them serve others during Christmas. We use an empty canning jar for our “Christmas Jar” and fill it up with loose change throughout the year. Then as Christmas draws nearer, our family chooses a needy family with children similar to their ages (so it will really hit home) and have our children purchase gifts for them. Some of the gifts are toys and some are more practical items, like clothing or food.

We have a couple of these "spare change jars" around our house and I think one of them will officially become the "Christmas Jar" from now on.

1 comment:

  1. You should post that on helpothers.org it would be a lovely gift idea for like minded people. Such as us. ;-)
    Thanks for sharing with me....xoxo

    ReplyDelete