Monday, January 18, 2010

Yes please, lets graph my weight gain!

I had to get one of my prescriptions renewed, and in order to do so I had to have an annual physical with my doctor. You know, the fun stuff: get weighed, give blood for tests, give urine sample, talk about daily stresses...

I must have seen her so much in 2008 (due to my ankle) that I missed the 2009 physical. She wouldn't let me get by in 2010, so I had to make an appointment. And, because this is my anxiety medication, I couldn't delay (ask my family)!

The first thing they asked me to do was give a urine sample. Crap...I couldn't go on demand so I drank water and waited. Then a nurse called me back.

Side Note: I had complained about the previous nurse in 2008 because she showed me how to put my splint on backwards. I think they punished me by giving me the new nurse.

She said "hmmm" as she wrote down my weight. Did she not see me standing there? (Obviously, by the number on the scale, she couldn't miss me!)

We went in to the room where she told me she would then take my blood pressure. Usually this is the easy part; you get a pump attached to your arm, wait for it to tighten and then they tell you your numbers. Well, the new nurse took her good. sweet. time. and my arm fell asleep. My fingers actually turned white. She said that she would have to use my other arm.

Again, she took her good. sweet. time. and then said "Do you normally run low?"

"Uh, no - but my arms are asleep." I responded

"Hmmm" (again?!?) "We'll have to try to the other arm again." Before doing so, she had to massage my arm to get the blood flowing again. And finally, a normal reading!

Wheww...what's next?

My doctor came in - we went over exercise (currently none), food (I enjoy it a lot), alcohol (usually), family history (oh boy) and then she typed some things into the computer and showed me a graph of my weight. Wow...I didn't really need that now did I?

"I appears you've gained 10lbs in the last 2 years" she told me pointing to the graph

"Is that what it appears?" I laughed "It appears to me that I'm winning the race!"

No smile from the good doctor.

"Do you know your ideal weight for you height?" she asked

"Yep - it's my goal too, but I just haven't gotten there." geeshhh

And again she talked about exercise, food and alcohol. She reminded me that alcohol can make my anxiety appear less and relax me.

"So I should drink more every day then huh?" I laughed again

No smile from the good doctor.

"No, that's not what I said."

"I was kidding." my smile faded

After a few other joyful discussions, she told me that I should get my tetanus shot because I couldn't remember the last time I had gotten one.

"No thanks." I told her - which was apparently the same thing I told her three years ago. So, I gave in.

In walks back in the new nurse, and she had the biggest syringe I've ever seen.

She kindly pinched at my arm several times before jabbing the giant syringe. I'm sure she did it to make sure the injection was more painful.

Which is was for the next three days.

Can't wait for my annual physical next year!

3 comments:

  1. oh my...sounds like you need a new doctor (with a sense of humor too)--not just a new nurse!

    Check out Cathy Z's blog entry from today...she's a scrapbooker I've been following for a few years..she's just a tad older than me and she quit smoking and gained weight...well, I gained her weight too (never smoked)...but I like what she's gonna do and I'm taking my photos tonight and writing it down and making it real...with EXERCISE this time!
    http://cathyzielske.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/01/tales-from-the-scale-reloaded.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fcathyzielske%2Fmy_weblog+%28Bits%26Pieces%29

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am NOT brave enough to post myself in workout gear (or anywhere near a toilet!) on my blog! : ) I also don't think I could post my measurements - she is brave!! Best of luck to you in this journey Kathy - we are planning our attack right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I didn't say I was gonna POST IT...but I'm gonna track it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete