Thursday, July 14, 2011

Road Trip 2011 ~ Spray, OR

To say that the internet service in Spray, Oregon is S-L-O-W would be an understatement. So, I'm not even going to attempt to upload pictures of our trip today. We've had a more laid back day, another enjoyable one, and are now enjoying our motel room.

We started off the morning sleeping in. I didn't wake up until 7:30am and I let Makena sleep until 9am. We went to a couple of museums in the area and then drove through a few small towns and part of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. The scenery is beautiful! Thankfully there isn't much traffic along the highway, because I've often found myself driving slower and slower so that I can take everything in. And, of course, to stop a few times to take pictures.

By 2pm, I was starving and my granola wasn't cutting it. We stopped in Dayville to eat, but the cafe (the one and only cafe) there only opened after 5pm for the 'dinner crowd'. We hoped to find a cafe in the town of Kimberly, but there was only a gas station (with a single pump) and a small grocery market. Nothing there was going to curb my appetite either. We finally made our way to Spray and found not only a gas station with two pumps, but a park, school, grocery market and a cafe and diner too! Unfortunately, the diner wasn't open yet (the stove was being cleaned, go figure) so we headed over to the cafe. There wasn't a single vegetarian option, so I had a chicken burger while Makena snacked on my fries. Then, when we got back to our motel room, Makena made a microwaveable soup. Food in my belly = happier me, so I took a little nap.

I'm not sure what we're going to do for dinner tonight. The cafe apparently makes pizzas for their 'dinner crowd' or maybe the diner will be open. It's either that or I get an orange and a Mirror Pond. I guess things could be worse.

We're going to explore the John Day Fossil Beds tomorrow and then spend the night in a B&B in Fossil, OR. The B&B is on a 9,000 acre working cattle ranch. I'm expecting it to be just as beautiful as the rest of the area, and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment