Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Visiting Maryland & Pennsylvania

We left for Maryland on Aug 18th (the busy-ness of life has kept me away from Blogger). Jamie had a 4 days sales meeting, so we could headed to MD ahead of time to visit family & friends.

We arrived at the airport in plenty of time...or so we thought. (Isn't this how the story always begins when I'm traveling with Jamie??) Because Jamie was bringing golf clubs (apparently part of the 'sales meeting') we were able to check baggage this trip. He always wants me to pack everything in my carry-on, so this was a treat for me! We didn't plan for the extra long time it took to stand in line and check our bags...or for the hundreds and hundreds of people already at the security line. And, of course, there were only 3 screeners for all of these people.

Jamie immediately began nagging the lady organizing the Express Lane (only for First Class folk) until she finally let us through the line. We cruised through as fast as we could and then took off running (yep...running) for our gate (which just so happened to be at the very end)! I still laugh now just thinking about it; I didn't have my shoes tied so they were flopping around, my shorts kept sliding down so I had to hold them up, and my camera backpack was feeling heavier with each step. I was envisioning myself tripping on a shoe lace and flying across the terminal floor. Jamie was ahead of me, so I figured I'd stop and tie my shoes and catch my breath (as I am NOT a runner). As I took a deep breath (thinking I may pass out) a pregnant woman, pushing a stroller with a toddler in it, ran by me. I can only imagine how my face looked, because 'you lazy, fat ass' was running through my mind. So, back to flopping shoes, holding up my shorts and hoping my camera bag didn't break my back. Thankfully, they were holding the flight for a bit as so many of us were running late...and so many of us were running through the terminal!

leaving the beautiful Pacific NW
The rest of the flight was pretty normal. We had a layover in Phoenix, allowing us some time to get some food, water and some Dramamine for me. There was a little turbulence on the way, to which I don't react well to. And we made it to the next gate way ahead of time!

We arrived in Baltimore at midnight, and Jeff was there to pick us up. We got back to Jeff's house, ate and then I headed to bed. Jeff talked Jamie in to staying up with him; off and on through the night I heard music, laughing, them playing on the quad and a fire. I went downstairs around 6am to find them making breakfast...they still hadn't gone to sleep! Jamie was quite tired later that day...we had Delaynie's birthday party to go to and I only let him sleep for a few hours before.

Skip ahead to Sunday. I'm not a big football fan (I know, I know) so I decided to take a drive while everyone else watched the Baltimore game. As many of you may know, I can get lost very easily, so I went to the main road and took a left. I decided that I would just keep going straight until I found something I wanted to take pictures of. There were a few things off the road that I thought I may try, but opted not to as I knew it would not end up well for me. Luckily, I found a beautiful Mennonite Church and Cemetery about 15 minutes away.

6 infants in one family - 1889 to 1915
I thought these were interesting and then noticed the one behind
while I was editing. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite
authors...that's not him tho.
The family name was Day - liked this tho

Skip ahead to Tuesday. Before Jamie took me to the airport, we headed to Baltimore Harbor to get some lunch at the ESPN Zone.

I arrived in Denver around 5:30pm and was so very happy to see a Rock Bottom. Yeah for microbrews! I was back at home around 10:30pm that night and went straight to bed. My anxiety levels get a little high while flying, especially when I'm alone. Hopefully I didn't freak out the people next to me when I dug my fingers into both arm rests and started chanting. (Okay...no chanting.)

We had a great visit to Maryland and Pennsylvania...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment