Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Terra Nova Graduation


The last day of school this year, also marked the last day of Terra Nova High School.  Ever.  We found out around Christmas time that the school would be closing due to budget cuts.  This made it a sad year for the 50 students attending Terra Nova.  Six students were Seniors and graduated, but the remaining students all needed to find a new "home".  And that's basically what most of the kids thought about the school; home.

Most of the students opted for other option schools in the area, but Makena finally decided on Portland Community College.  (Maybe I decided a little bit too...)  But, we're hoping that this is going to be a great experience for her!  She will be able to attend the community college while also earning her High School diploma.  And, it's all paid for by the school district!

Makena is the first 15 yr old that they've accepted in to the program.  Mostly because she's an exceptional student, but also because of the situation with Terra Nova.  She will actually be 16 by the time school starts, so there wasn't too much of an issue.  She tested well and had great recommendations. A few of her classmates are following her there and I think they will all transition well.

The last two hours of last Wednesday's final school day was a celebration.  A thank you.  A we'll miss you.  A goodbye.

There was a huge pot luck and pizza (those kids can eat pizza!), there were some awards, hugs and tears, videos and pictures shared by students and lots of happy conversation.

As I was waiting for Makena's name to be called, I remember that I had my small camera in my purse because I had been over at the house earlier.  Just as I go to take her picture though, the battery shut off.  I hurried to get the camera back on and these are the only two pictures I was able to get. 

These two pictures.  These two pictures make me smile because thankfully I was there to see Makena accept her Terra Nova 'diploma' with my eyes.  These two pictures make me not smile because they are two of the worst pictures I've ever taken.  And Makena is probably thrilled with that!  (For some reason, she thinks I take too many pictures of her.)  She wouldn't stand back under the 2012 sign so that I could take a decent picture, so these two pictures will have to do.

There were some difficulties for Makena to overcome this year, but I think she'll grow in to a stronger person because of it.  She made some new friends and learned some new things about herself.

We are proud of you Pook! I fight back tears thinking that you, my 15 year old daughter, are now a college student.

1 comment: