Thursday, September 8, 2011

Our last GS outing

In First grade, Makena asked if she could join Girl Scouts. I thought it would be fun for her, so we signed her up.

The first meeting came and I mentioned that I could help out, 'when needed'. The meetings were being held out in Beaverton, so I wasn't going to have enough time to drive home. I had brought a book, but 20+ 6 & 7 years old made it difficult to read.

The second meeting came and the large group broke out in to two smaller groups. Ten girls was much easier for the Leader to handle. Books were purchased, cute little uniforms were picked out, they were now a Troop.


The third meeting came and the Leader decided that she could no longer lead the Troop; she just wasn't going to have time. She thought it would be great if I became the leader since I was already going to be at all the meetings. (Yah, great...) I looked around at 10 little girls waiting to see if I'd say yes so that they could continue in Girl Scouts.


Fast forward 8 years later. My Troop, Cadette Troop 41054, would be enjoying their last outing together. In the previous years, girls had left the Troop and others had joined. We'd spent hundreds of hours selling cookies; often in the cold rain and snow. We'd been to Girl Scout camp, twice. We'd been to Girl Fest, Caroling, Build-a-Bear and had backyard camp-outs . We'd stayed overnight at the zoo, twice. We'd volunteered in our community and completed our Silver Star Award. We'd spent a lot of time together. We'd grown.


As I look back, I'm glad that I said "Ok!" to becoming the Troop Leader. I've made some wonderful memories. I was secretly happy that the girls didn't want to quit when they entered Middle School. Our Troop was complete: McKenzie, Jessica, Makena, Hayley & Hailee. (In alphabetical order by last name, of course.)


I planned our last trip for 3 fun-filled days in Ocean Shores, WA. Unfortunately, Jessica was in Hawaii with her family, so she had to miss the trip.

After a 3.5 hour drive, plus another .5 hours for driving breaks, we arrived in Ocean Shores. We unpacked and headed to the beach.


Makena drew in the sand 'I {heart} MH' which stands for Makena, McKenzie, Hayley & Hailee. (Not in alphabetical order obviously.)







The next day, we walked down to the Family Fun Center for some mini golf, arcade games and bumper boats.










Then we did a little shopping at Sharkys.


After a quick stop for buckets & shovels, we headed back down to the beach.








Then we went back to the room so the girls could play some board games and then we hit the pool for a bit.


Then a movie - Soul Surfer - which may not have been the best choice considering we were playing in the ocean.


The next day was horseback riding on the beach.





Makena asked for a horse that didn't run. (Actually, I think that was unanimous.) My horse, 31, liked to bite Makena's horse; making her's run. She tried to stay as far away from me as she could.


I didn't realize how difficult it was to take pictures on a horse. Especially one that is trying hard to stay in front of the pack and I'm wanting him to fall behind.




Then someone got the fabulous idea to rent a multi-person bike. It.was.a.lot.of.work.


So we stopped off at the park to play for bit.


Even Lori had some fun!



Then back on the road.


We turned in our bike early, did a little shopping and then went bowling.


Where we rocked lane 2. Much more fun!



We tried to catch the sun setting on the beach, but the clouds weren't coperating with us. But we still had fun!





We did a little more shopping before heading home the next day. We were lucky to have three gorgeous days in Ocean Shores.


I'm going to miss those girls.

1 comment: