Thursday, December 1, 2011

thanks {squared} until next time

Well, I did it, I did the thanks {squared} project every day in November. It was actually fun for me, probably because I had to take a picture every day, but I also had to consciously think about things that I was thankful for. I do appreciate things; little things, people, items, etc, but I don't always make an effort to point them out to others every day. And sometimes the "little things" seemed to make my day so much better. So taking those couple of minutes to say what I was thankful for and post it was worth it.

It also brought to my attention how rushed we are in life. I have thought about it before, but not quite as much as I have these past 30 days. I want to enjoy life. I want to enjoy my time. I want to enjoy the people I am with. Some of us just seem to push right past these things. I was surprised how quickly the stores took down the "thankful", Autumn decorations and pushed right in to Christmas. I was surprised at how many people rushed through Thanksgiving Day to start their Black Friday shopping. I was surprised at how many people had forgotten all about their turkey and stuffing left-overs and put up their Christmas tree.


I know this is a tradition for many people, and I respect that. This Thanksgiving was different for me because I didn't have the traditional sit down meal with my family. I didn't prepare food at my home, or plan a menu days in advance. I didn't stuff myself and still eat pie or take a nap on the couch afterwards. And I missed that, all of it. I did get to spend time with family and friends that I don't see very often, and I did get to be a part of something new. But I can't tell you how much I wish I had turkey left-overs and got to take a nap on my couch. And how much I missed relaxing in my house the next day, enjoying the end of November.


But hey, now it's December 1st and I can officially begin my Christmas spirit. I'll listen to Christmas music all month long. We'll get our tree this weekend and I'll slowly start to decorate. And I'll think of more things to be thankful for.


P.S. An added bonus is the the Retro Camera app that I have on my phone now! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment