Monday, June 14, 2010

Relay For Life of Hillsboro 2010

I started this post yesterday. I was either too emotional or too tired from the day because it just didn't get published.

Another wonderful Relay has come and gone. It seems strange to spend 11 (sometimes long) months preparing for 24 hours. But Relay is a 24 hour event that needs all of that planning! And, it is an event that is planned/organized by several wonderful people – myself included!

There are always the “goods” and “bads” to everything we do in life. Relay is no exception.


The actual event usually seems to pass by quickly. I always end up missing some of the activities, games or bands. I have yet (in my 6 years) to see the Drummers that everyone raves about. I get outbid on an auction item that I was hoping to get. I’m usually busy during a 2pm walking shift and end up with a 3am one instead. And there are so many Luminaria for me to read and take pictures of that the hour long quiet time just isn’t quite enough.


There are the “long” parts of Relay too. The Survivor Ceremony seems like it takes forever to get through – it’s either raining on our poor Survivors or they are baking in the sunshine. I was told, more than once this year, that they’d rather be getting the extra vitamin D tho! Counting (and re-counting) donations and entering them into the system always feels like that 6+ hours that it takes me to do. And even when the Closing Ceremony is only 10 minutes long, it feels like 40. I’ve usually been awake for more than 30 hours by this time and am exhausted and sore when I get up on the stage to help my Committee. But that’s when I say to myself – “I don’t have cancer.”

I don’t have cancer. I’m a healthy 35 yr old Mother, Daughter, Sister, Girlfriend and Friend.

I meet new people – from the Committee to Team Captains to participants and all of their families and friends. I see Survivors return each year to be honored and smile as they walk their lap. And sometimes, unfortunately, I don’t see them.

I encourage people to get involved with Relay. They find their own reasons to fight back against cancer.

Yes, it can sometimes be overwhelming to be on the Committee as well as be a Team Captain. But, I do what I do for them; the Survivors. I do what I do so that I don’t have to lose another loved one to cancer. I do what I do to educate people on what they can do to survive. I do what I do for better treatments. I do what I do so that I can continue to say “I don’t have cancer.”

I started participating in the Relay For Life of Hillsboro in 2005 for my Aunt Tami. My first team, Tami’s Dugout, supported me that year and we’ve continued to grow for the past 6 years. Tami’s Dugout, Tami’s Guys & Dolls, Tami’s Stars & Stripes, Tami’s Reading Railroad, Tami’s Full-House of Champions and Tami’s CUREageous Sprites – you’ve all been wonderful! We’ve raised more than $43,000 for the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life of Hillsboro.

And I just wanted to say THANK YOU!

I do have pictures to share from the event. You know how I am tho - I have 2 disks of pictures to look through and edit and that takes time. Time that I need to fit in to my day, and hopefully soon!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah for Tami's Teams and support over the past 6 years! One of the main things I love about Relay...how the worst thing can bring us together! Amber, Tamara, Aunt Tami, Makena and Jamie too, I would probably not know you guys if it wasn't for Relay. For that I will ALWAYS be grateful!

    Great job you guys! $43,000 rocks!!! (now I need to add up my Wee Bees totals)...

    ~ Kathy

    ps--Amber, the back ground change is kinda hard to read, but it might just be my pc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently there is a "new" template option on Blogger - I hit a button and everything changed and won't change back! : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah..much better!!! I can read and it looks GREEN, just like Amber! GO GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Red! I love you so much.
    Relay is a blessing in many ways. Meeting people, having a place to crusade for a cure and doing my part to gather any bit of money to go towards research that will some day lead me down isle 6 in the grocery store to take my anti-cancer pill. Just like when I have a cold.
    Thanks for introducing us all to Relay For Life. If it wasn't for you there would surly be $43k less for a cure not to mention the hundreds of thousands we are all responsible for helping fund by spreading awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy the time when I can come out and participate in Relay with you, Jamie and your family. I wish that I could do more, but with being over 3000 miles away it is hard to be involved. But you know if I can help in anyway all you have to do is ask. I love meeting new people and being with old friends. I would love to see a cure for cancer so know one else has to suffer.

    ReplyDelete